Colours of The Royal Surrey
Regiments of Militia
1st Royal Surrey Militia Colours
Early warrants fix the facings of the 1st Surrey Militia as white (until given the appellation Royal in 1804) and Regimental Colours were normally the same colour as the facings. The first recorded issue of Colours was in 1757, made, it is thought, of silk. The King’s Colour was the Union (still at that time without St Patrick’s saltire), and the Regimental Colour white, bearing the arms of the Lord Lieutenant, Richard, 3rd Baron Onslow, the owner of Clandon Park. The only other Stand of Colours recorded as presented to the 1st Royal Surrey Militia were those by the Countess of Lovelace at Aldershot in 1884, and these were carried up to the disembodiment of the Regiment in 1919.