in London in 1823, he entered the Royal Military College, Sandhurst,
in May 1839 prior to being appointed an Ensign in the 13th Light
Infantry in June of the same year. He embarked at Gravesend in the
following November to join the Regiment at Kabul on 21st April 1841.
Promoted Lieutenant in 1842, Captain in 1848 and Major in 1857,
he advanced to the ranks of Lieutenant Colonel in 1860 and Colonel
in 1865. In 1870 he was appointed Major General and from 1873-1877
he was Commander Brigade Depot 69, Clonmell.
Retiring as Honorary Lieutenant General on 1st July 1881 he was
appointed Colonel of The Royal West Surrey Regiment (The Queen's).
On cessation of command of The Queen’s he transferred to the
Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry.
Much of his career was in India. He served in the Afghan Campaign
1840-1842 and was present at several engagements including the forcing
of the Jagdalak Pass, the heroic defence of Jellalabad and the recapture
of Kabul. He was awarded two appropriate medals. Other stations
at which he served in 1843 and 1844 were Kasauli, Sukkur and Karachi.
Returning to England via Bombay and Suez in 1845 his Home Service
included such places as Walmer, Portsmouth, Dublin and Belfast.
During futher service in India he became ADC to the Commander-in-Chief,
East Indies in 1854.
He married Lady Barbara Leeson at Blessington, Co. Wicklow, in 1864
and died in London on 28th April 1915.
of letters to Lt Gen G G Chetwynd-Stapylton from the War Office
offering him the Colonelcy of the Queen’s Royal West
Surrey Regiment and the letter confirming his appointment.
Please see also the rider in the first letter which clearly
shows he would gain no pecuniary advantage.