of the 1st Queen's, Burma 1944.
The 1st Battalion Queen’s Royal (West Surrey) Regiment
continued to serve in India at the start of the Second World War
and fought for a year against tribesmen on the North-West Frontier.
The Battalion then transferred to Burma and saw a great deal of
hard fighting against the Japanese in the Arakan, at Kohima and
in the Irrawaddy operations. After the Japanese surrender, the
1st Battalion spent a short period in Malaya, before returning
2nd Battalion moved to Egypt from Palestine in 1940 and
fought in the Battle of Sidi Barrani and at Tobruk. It then moved
back to Egypt and then Syria. This was followed by a peaceful
year in Ceylon, prior to a move to Burma, where it served as part
of the Deep Penetration Forces (Chindits) against the Japanese.
After the War, the 2nd Battalion moved back to India, where it
remained until 1947.
2nd Battalion The Queen's Royal Regiment.
The Territorial Force was disbanded after the First World War,
but reconstituted as the Territorial Army (TA) in 1921. In 1938,
the TA battalions were ordered to double their strength. The Queen’s
battalions formed into two brigades; 131 (Queen’s) Brigade
consisted of 1/5th, 1/6th and 1/7th Queen’s and 169 (Queen’s)
Brigade was made up of 2/5th, 2/6th and 2/7th Queen’s. All
six Territorial battalions fought in France in 1940. Two years
later, both brigades were ordered overseas and fought in the Eighth
Army in the Western Desert. 131 Brigade became the Lorried Infantry
brigade of 7 Armoured Division (the “Desert Rats”)
after the Battle of El Alamein. 169 Brigade joined 56 London Division
(the “Black Cats”) and took part in the capture of
Tunis in May 1943.
Lee Enfield Number 4, Mark 1. Lee Enfield Number 5, Mark
1 (the jungle carbine). Cotton bandolier for fifty rounds.
US Thompson sub-machine gun, M1 with magazine pouch.
brigades fought in the allied landing at Salerno, Italy in September
1943; one relieving the other. They then took part in some of
the bloodiest fighting in Italy. When the Battle Honours were
awarded for the Second World War, seventeen were awarded to the
Queen's. "Salerno", "Monte
Camino", "Anzio", "Gemmano
Ridge" emblazoned on the Queen's Colour, whilst
"Monte Stella", "Scafati Bridge", "Volturno
Crossing", "Garigliano Crossing", "Damiano",
"Gothic Line", "Senio Pocket", "Senio
Floodbank", "Cusa Fabri Ridge", "Menate",
"Filo", "Argento Gap" and "Italy 1943-45"
were awarded as Battle Honours.
Brigade then returned to England for the invasion of north-west
Europe and eventually helped to push the Germans back across the
River Maas. 1/5th Queen’s ended the War in Hamburg, later
moving to Berlin, where it took part in the Victory Parade in
front of Winston Churchill.
the end of the Second World War, the TA again changed shape, as
battalions were disbanded. 5th Queen’s was reformed in 1947,
with its headquarters at Sandfield Terrace, Guildford. The TA
Infantry remained in various forms at Sandfield Terrace until
their most recent reorganisation in 1999. 6th Queen’s was
reformed in the same year at Jamaica Road, Bermondsey.