the left a Company Officer in Dress uniform and on the right
a Company Officer in Undress patrol jacket and forage cap.
the Napoleonic War The Surrey Militia formed part of the South
Coast Defensive Army and helped guard French prisoners of war.
In 1811, they served in Ireland and in the next year were briefly
deployed to France. Many militiamen were hurriedly sent to reinforce
the Guards regiments just prior to the battle of Waterloo; they
fought wearing Surrey Militia jackets. In 1808 a “Local
Militia” was instituted and whole regiments of volunteer
infantry were drafted into the Militia. Their importance lapsed
between 1816 and 1852, as the external threats to the Country
of the 2nd Royal Surrey Militia. He is armed with the Snider
In 1852, there was a revival of the Militia, as a result of the
aftermath of the 1848 French revolution, and from 1854, recruits
were voluntary only, as the ballot system ended. The 1st
Surrey Militia established its Headquarters at Richmond,
whilst The 2nd Surrey Militia was based at Guildford.
Officer Mess meetings occurred at the “White Hart”,
Guildford, which still functions at the top of the High Street.
Uniforms became the same pattern as the regular forces, but with
silver not gold lace. The Permanent Staff consisted of the Adjutant,
Sergeant Major, ten sergeants and seven drummers.
In May 1859, as a result of public anxiety of the possibility
of French aggression, Lord Derby’s Government authorised
the formation of Volunteer Rifle Corps. The staff of these small,
but enthusiastic units, similar to the Militia, included an Adjutant,
a Sergeant Major and two or three permanent staff instructors
detached from the regular line battalions. There were twenty six
Volunteer Corps in Surrey. In 1861, these Corps were grouped together
into Surrey Rifle Volunteer Battalions for administrative
1st Battalion included the 2nd, 4th, 8th, 20th, and 26th Corps. The 2nd Battalion consisted of the 6th,
9th, 11th, 12th, 15th, and 16th Corps, whilst The 3rd Battalion were the 5th, 13th, 14th, 17th, 18th, and 22nd,
to which the 24th was added later. The 4th Battalion
only included the 10th and 23rd. This latter battalion was to
have a complicated future lineage, becoming The 22nd Battalion
of The London Regiment (The Queen’s) in 1908 and
eventually The 6th (Bermondsey) Battalion of
The Queen’s in 1937. In 1881, there were
254,000 Volunteers under arms in the United Kingdom.